Foos wins thriller at Fremont for $4000 AFCS win, Stroup gets redemption in AFCS 305s for $1200
By Brian Liskai
FREMONT, Ohio – DJ Foos waited until the white flag lap to take the lead from race-long leader Trey Jacobs and then held off a last lap challenge from Byron Reed to earn his second 410 sprint win of the year in thrilling fashion at Fremont Speedway Saturday, May 15 on Great Lakes Truck Centers Night.
It was Foos’ second straight victory of the year in the Fort Ball Pizza Palace 410 Sprints and the 19th of his career at “The Track That Action Built.” And the win pads Foos’ lead in his quest for a second championship for the All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads/Kistler Racing Products 410 Attica Fremont Championship Series Presented by the Baumann Auto Group.
“Trey bobbled a couple of times on the cushion in one and two which is pretty easy to do tonight…there’s a pretty massive curb. I was kind of cheating it. My guys kept me pretty snug so I was rolling underneath the cushion and caught the moisture on the way out. I wondered if I was ever going to get to the lead on this deal. I messed up on the restart (with 11 to go) and gave him a pretty big lead. I didn’t have anything for him but he made a couple of mistakes and I was able to capitalize on it. It’s so easy to make complacent mistakes when you are leading. I can’t say enough for the Burmeister family for the opportunity. This is the second night out on this car and we had amazing speed last night and tonight we were able to capitalize on it,” said Foos beside his Crown Battery, CR Juices, All in Tent Rentals, Dave Story Equipment, Burmeister Trophy, Sonny’s Signs, Vantage Branding, The Jet Express, Berryman Racing Shocks, Kistler Engines, Kistler Racing Products backed machine.
In another fantastic race, Fremont’s Dustin Stroup held off a very late race challenge from defending Fremont Speedway track champion Paul Weaver to earn his second straight Fremont Federal Credit Union 305 Sprint win. It was redemption for Stroup who struggled the previous night at Attica Raceway Park and he and his dad and crew stayed up all night repairing his Automatic Fire Protection; MLP Lawn care & Snow Removal; Vantage Branding; Level Performance; Advance Auto Parts backed machine. With two laps to go, Stroup nearly gave the race away with a bobble on the cushion in turns one and two with Paul Weaver breathing down his neck and a trio of lapped cars racing hard in front of him.
“I was very embarrassed by my performance last night at Attica…I was ready to quit. We came out two weeks ago and won here and we had a terrible night last night and I was just so distraught. We spent a very long time in the shop last night and this morning putting this thing back together. I have to thank everyone who helps out…mom and dad, Adam and all my great sponsors and Level Performance for building one hell of an engine,” said Stroup.
“I knew I could not get past the lapped cars…they were running my line. There was one on the top and one on the bottom so I just held my line. I could hear someone…didn’t know who…and the last couple of laps I had to pick up the pace. We held on for the win,” added Stroup.
Following an opening lap mishap, Trey Jacobs grabbed the early lead In the night’s regular 410 feature. Just as things were heating up for second between Nate Dussel and Foos, the caution flew on lap five. Jacobs got a great restart and pulled away slightly as Dussel and Foos battled very hard for second. Following a caution on lap 12, Jacobs again drove away on the restart as Dussel and Foos continued their battle for second with Landon LaLonde, Chris Andrews, Craig Mintz and Greg Wilson challenging fourth.
Just as Dussel was closing on Jacobs on lap 19, the caution flew and it was for a Dussel spin. When the green reappeared the car on the move was Byron Reed as he drove into third. With eight laps to go Foos had chopped a lot of time off Jacobs’ lead and when they raced to the white flag, Foos and Jacobs were side by side with Foos gaining the advantage. It was Reed who was mounting the serious challenge and coming to the checkers Foos was able to hold off Reed with Jacobs, Andrews and Macedo rounding out the top five.
Mike Keegan drove into the lead at the drop of the green for the 305 Sprint feature with Seth Schneider challenging while Steve Rando, Stroup and Alvin Roepke in pursuit. Other than a spin on the opening lap, the event would go to the checkers without another stoppage. Stroup took second from Schneider on lap 10 and closed quickly on Keegan, eventually taking the lead on lap 13.
In the closing laps Stroup’s lead quickly disappeared as Weaver closed. Stroup was able to hold on for the win over Weaver, Keegan, Alvin Roepke and Valent.
Fremont Speedway will be back in action Saturday, May 22 for the 410 and 305 sprints and dirt trucks with the 305s running their make-up feature as well.
Keep up to date with Fremont Speedway by going to www.fremontohspeedway.com or on Facebook at www.facebook/FremontSpeedway or on Twitter https://twitter.com/FremontSpeedway.
Saturday, May 15
410 Sprints – JF Construction & Development
1.16-DJ Foos, 12.212; 2.23-Chris Andrews, 12.339; 3.97-Gary Taylor, 12.352; 4.0-Trey Jacobs, 12.408; 5.5-Byron Reed, 12.462; 6.09-Craig Mintz, 12.486; 7.1-Nate Dussel, 12.492; 8.18-Cole Macedo, 12.540; 9.35-Stuart Brubaker, 12.581; 10.55-CJ Leary, 12.612; 11.2L-Landon Lalonde, 12.628; 12.12-Kyle Capodice, 12.631; 13.5T-Travis Philo, 12.646; 14.2+-Brian Smith, 12.663; 15.22M-Dan McCarron, 12.702; 16.14-Chad Wilson, 12.718; 17.11N-Harli White, 12.758; 18.21N-Frankie Nervo, 12.767; 19.W20-Greg Wilson, 12.813; 20.7T-Troy Vaccaro, 12.831; 21.27s-John Ivy, 12.898; 22.83-Wesley McIntyre, 13.030; 23.29-Zeth Sabo, 13.167;
Crown Battery Heat 1, Group A - (8 Laps)
1. 23-Chris Andrews ; 2. 12-Kyle Capodice ; 3. W20-Greg Wilson ; 4. 35-Stuart Brubaker ; 5. 27s-John Ivy ; 6. 22M-Dan McCarron ; 7. 83-Wesley McIntyre
Terry Henricks Ford Heat 2, Group B - (8 Laps)
1. 55-CJ Leary ; 2. 0-Trey Jacobs ; 3. 2L-Landon Lalonde ; 4. 18-Cole Macedo ; 5. 11N-Harli White ; 6. 2+-Brian Smith ; 7. 14-Chad Wilson
Liuna Local 574 Heat 3, Group C - (8 Laps)
1. 1-Nate Dussel ; 2. 09-Craig Mintz ; 3. 5-Byron Reed ; 4. 16-DJ Foos ; 5. 5T-Travis Philo ; 6. 29-Zeth Sabo ; 7. 7T-Troy Vaccaro
Engler Machine & Tool A-Main 1 - (30 Laps)
1. 16-DJ Foos ; 2. 5-Byron Reed ; 3. 0-Trey Jacobs ; 4. 23-Chris Andrews ; 5. 18-Cole Macedo ; 6. W20-Greg Wilson ; 7. 09-Craig Mintz ; 8. 55-CJ Leary ; 9. 2L-Landon Lalonde ; 10. 2+-Brian Smith ; 11. 97-Gary Taylor ; 12. 22M-Dan McCarron ; 13. 83-Wesley McIntyre ; 14. 1-Nate Dussel ; 15. 35-Stuart Brubaker ; 16. 7T-Troy Vaccaro ; 17. 12-Kyle Capodice ; 18. 14-Chad Wilson ; 19. 29-Zeth Sabo ; 20. 5T-Travis Philo ; 21. 27s-John Ivy ; 22. 11N-Harli White ; 23. 21N-Frankie Nervo
Jack's All Out Hard Charger Cale Thomas
The Juice Garden Hard Luck Kyle Capodice
305 Sprints - JF Construction & Development
1.X-Mike Keegan, 13.352; 2.10X-Dustin Stroup, 13.355; 3.9R-Logan Riehl, 13.363; 4.99-Alvin Roepke, 13.376; 5.12F-Matt Foos, 13.428; 6.28-Shawn Valenti, 13.438; 7.5Jr-Jimmy McGrath Jr, 13.520; 8.19R-Steve Rando, 13.554; 9.1W-Paul Weaver, 13.560; 10.X15-Kasey Ziebold, 13.576; 11.36-Seth Schneider, 13.590; 12.26-Jamie Miller, 13.608; 13.5-Kody Brewer, 13.677; 14.Z10-Brandon Moore, 13.706; 15.21-Larry Kingseed JR, 13.789; 16.61-Tyler Shullick, 13.803; 17.32-Bryce Lucius, 13.873; 18.3X-Brandon Riehl, 13.893; 19.3V-Chris Verda, 13.920; 20.34-Jud Dickerson, 13.983; 21.6-Jimmie Ward, 14.199; 22.20i-Kelsey Ivy, 14.215; 23.51-Garrett Craine, 14.419; 24.18X-Bobby Distel, 14.452; 25.77X-Jamin Kindred, 14.700; 26.3M-Logan Mongeau, 14.845;
Crown Battery Heat 1, Group A - (8 Laps)
1. 1W-Paul Weaver ; 2. 36-Seth Schneider ; 3. X15-Kasey Ziebold ; 4. 9R-Logan Riehl ; 5. 5-Kody Brewer ; 6. 21-Larry Kingseed JR ; 7. 3X-Brandon Riehl ; 8. 18X-Bobby Distel ; 9. 77X-Jamin Kindred
Kear's Speed Shop Heat 2, Group B - (8 Laps)
1. 12F-Matt Foos ; 2. 10X-Dustin Stroup ; 3. 99-Alvin Roepke ; 4. 28-Shawn Valenti ; 5. X-Mike Keegan ; 6. 5Jr-Jimmy McGrath Jr ; 7. 61-Tyler Shullick ; 8. Z10-Brandon Moore ; 9. 34-Jud Dickerson
Rohr Total Lawn Care Heat 3, Group C - (8 Laps)
1. 19R-Steve Rando ; 2. 26-Jamie Miller ; 3. 3V-Chris Verda ; 4. 32-Bryce Lucius ; 5. 20i-Kelsey Ivy ; 6. 6-Jimmie Ward ; 7. 51-Garrett Craine ; 8. 3M-Logan Mongeau
MLP Lawn Care B-Main 1 - (10 Laps)
1. 5Jr-Jimmy McGrath Jr ; 2. 21-Larry Kingseed JR ; 3. 61-Tyler Shullick ; 4. 3X-Brandon Riehl ; 5. Z10-Brandon Moore ; 6. 6-Jimmie Ward ; 7. 18X-Bobby Distel ; 8. 34-Jud Dickerson ; 9. 51-Garrett Craine ; 10. 3M-Logan Mongeau ; 11. 77X-Jamin Kindred
Fremont Fence A-Main 1 - (25 Laps)
1. 10X-Dustin Stroup ; 2. 1W-Paul Weaver ; 3. X-Mike Keegan ; 4. 99-Alvin Roepke ; 5. 28-Shawn Valenti ; 6. 19R-Steve Rando ; 7. 12F-Matt Foos ; 8. 36-Seth Schneider ; 9. 26-Jamie Miller ; 10. 61-Tyler Shullick ; 11. Z10-Brandon Moore ; 12. 21-Larry Kingseed JR ; 13. 5-Kody Brewer ; 14. 32-Bryce Lucius ; 15. 3V-Chris Verda ; 16. 3X-Brandon Riehl ; 17. X15-Kasey Ziebold ; 18. 20i-Kelsey Ivy ; 19. 5Jr-Jimmy McGrath Jr ; 20. 6-Jimmie Ward
Jack's All Out Hard Charger Brandon Moore
The Juice Garden Hard Luck Chris Verda
Jack's Mystery Bonus Jackpot Paul Weaver